Medicare Part B
Medicare covers your medically-necessary healthcare expenses, other than hospital care. You receive Part B coverage for a monthly premium. Your monthly premium may be higher if you don't sign up for Part B when you first become eligible. You also have a yearly deductible for your Part B covered services. In 2008, the yearly deductible is $135.
Your part B coverage offers benefits for the following kinds of services:
- Ambulance services, when you need to be transported for medical services and would be endangered by transportation in another vehicle. You pay a coinsurance amount.
- Blood, starting with the 4th pint received in an outpatient setting. You pay for all of the first three pints and 20% coinsurance for any additional pints.
- Clinical laboratory services, such as blood tests, urinalysis, and others: $0 copayment for Medicare-approved services.
- Limited chiropractic services, to correct a subluxation. You pay coinsurance.
- Diabetes Services. Various screenings and preventive care to manage conditions related to diabetes. You pay coinsurance.
- Emergency room services. You pay coinsurance.
- Eyeglasses. One pair, only following cataract surgery. You pay coinsurance.
- Flu Shot. One flu shot at no cost each year.
- Home health services: $0 copayment for Medicare-covered services, 20% coinsurance for durable medical equipment, including wheelchairs and hospital beds. You must receive your durable medical equipment from a supplier that accepts Medicare.
- Medical Services: covers necessary doctor office visits, only one "Welcome to Medicare" physical exam if received during the first six months you are eligible for Medicare. 20% coinsurance for most doctor services, outpatient and preventive services, and durable medical equipment.
- Mental Health Services: 50% coinsurance for most outpatient services.
- Occupational Therapy: to help you return to normal activities after injury or illness. You pay coinsurance.
- Other services at various copayment or coinsurance amounts. Yearly deductible applies.